Sunday 27 February 2011

Mabuhay ang Kalayaan

I was 11 at the time of the People Power Revolution; an intermediate student in my first year at Faith Academy, Manila. 25 years ago this last Friday, but in my thoughts all week with the news from Libya. One of my enduring memories from the months afterwords is the slogan "Mabuhay ang Kalayaan" (Long Live Freedom), painted on footbridges over the big roads downtown.

Local news has been full of the earthquake in Christchurch, and rightly so, but thankfully nobody I know closely is caught up in it. I keep tuning to the BBC to hear of the incredibly brave protesters returning to the streets where so many have been murdered.

Commentators wonder what will happen next. A friend from Iran fears echoes from her country's history. My only thought is that it takes years to form and bed in a new politics. 25 years and counting in the Philippines. I pray that the Libyans can soon start down that difficult but necessary road.

No comments:

Post a Comment